Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pass me a Flashlight!

I just saw this, but I'm not 100% sure if it's solid enough to believe. So, what do I do? I'm trying to do a bit of research as I write this entry. Am I that excited about this bit of news? Though I'm not the best person for horror (anything scary at that!), I did enjoy this thriller/suspense game. Yes, I'm talking about a video game. Ladies and Gents, I'm hesitantly excited about...

Alan Wake 2, that is. When we were playing through Alan Wake, I found myself jumping, cheering, cursing, and running between the bedroom and the TV - I told you guys I'm a wuss. Let me get to the "news." I read the following Gaming Blend:
After reading this brief article, I was skeptical. I hadn't heard anything bout another Alan Wake-ish game! I'm a follower of Game Informer, so where did I run to after reading this? Well, duh! Game Informer, and this is what they briefly had to say about it:
Game Informer and Gaming Blend have made me wonder with some serious curiosity: Where in the world is Alan Wake 2 - if not a true sequel to Alan Wake - going? Will there be a new character? Will the story line be similar? Will they do a gender switch-a-roo (like Silent Hill movie and game)?

I actually liked Alan. He was this naive yet gutsy guy, and the fact that he was a writer just made me like him more. His battle with the "darkness" is metaphoric of a person's campaign against his/her own demons. Losing Alice, his wife, to a mystery kidnapper is the perfect trigger to get his writer's block ass ticking and moving again. If you ask me, if you kidnapped anyone close to me, I'd be ready to kill everyone and everything in sight, so I guess you can say that I don't blame his naive rampage - barging into buildings without a second thought, seeking out "The Dark Presence" without knowing (100% knowing) what the hell he's going to face.... Then, he does the ultimate romantic (yes, I think it romantic) sacrifice: His life for hers (Alice). It's the mega-ultimate lovers' ending! I thought of it as West Side Story. I know, I'm a dork, but you have to admit, Alan pulled of Tony's "I will die for you; for us" beautifully.

Where do I want the alleged Alan Wake 2 to go? I'd love to see Alice go looking for Alan. Wait! I take that back! If I were the writer, I'd have - hmm - Alan's editor, who is also his dear friend (or for the sake of creativity, let's say he had an apprentice), go looking for him. This editor/friend or apprentice (I think I'll just call this character "friend") will take bits and pieces of information from Alice - along with dream-like hints Alan drops on "friend" - and goes to the lake, only to find the cabin that Alan was last seen (in the ending shot of Alan Wake) empty, except for a typewriter with a sheet of paper with - let's say - Alan's last words (or hints) and a flashlight. Using this, the "friend" begins his/her search for Alan.

Needless to say, I am thoroughly looking forward to see where Remedy Entertainment will take the follow up game to Alan Wake. There's hardly any information out in the world wide web, but at least there's bits, pieces and vague information on the Alan Wake 2 project. Seeing how there's only about three or four months before Fall 2011 comes knocking on everyone's door, I'm itching for more news to come out by late June-early July (yes, I'm giving them - Remedy, GI and even G4 - a guestimated deadline to tell me something solid). This is as excited as you guys will ever see me regarding a horror/suspense/thriller game, movie, anything. So, enjoy it while it lasts!

Until next time --

No comments:

Post a Comment